Kienzle clock History
An influential artist and environmental designer, Rudolph de Harak was known for making the complex seem simple and for adding a spark of life to Modernism. Born in Culver City, California, de Harak moved to New York with his family in the 1930s, where he attended trade school. After serving in World War II, de Harak took a job as an art director at Seventeen magazine. In 1952 he opened his own design office. Despite having created hundreds of posters, record covers and book jackets-including nearly 350 covers for McGraw-Hill-de Harak soon found himself teaching at the Cooper Union to make ends meet. During the '60s de Harak reputation grew, earning him many prominent projects, many of which remain as effective and admired as when they were new, including the timeline and typographic displays for the Egyptian Wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and the three-story digital clock and futuristic entryway of 127 John Street in Manhattan. While in his late 60's, de Harak moved to Maine to live with his wife in the house they designed. He received an AIGA medal for lifetime achievement in 1993.
Junghans Clock History
1861 A quest for excellence - from the very beginning
The Junghans watch factory came into being in 1861. Businessman Erhard Junghans founded the company in Schramberg, a small town in the Black Forest, together with his brother-in-law Jakob Zeller-Tobler. At first, they specialized in manufacturing individual parts for watch production. The precision of Junghans work quickly became synonymous with outstanding quality of manufacturing, and the foundation was laid for a complete watch making enterprise. The first watches bearing the Junghans brand were designed and constructed by the company's own master watchmakers in 1866.
1875 Arthur Junghans
Arthur Junghans took over managing the company in 1875, following his father's premature death. Arthur was a watchmaker by trade and training and had traveled to America, where he studied the latest technological possibilities provided by rational production. Arthur Junghans introduced many new production techniques at the company, providing the ideas, serving as designer, and playing the role of technical leader. Even before the turn of the century, numerous machines and processes were developed that gave Junghans outstanding advantages in terms of quality and manufacturing. Arthur Junghans focused primarily on innovations in watch making, and no less than 300 inventions were patented under his management.
1890 The star over Junghans
The 8-point star that is still the Junghans trademark today was first registered in 1890. Junghans watches came to be known as affordable, high-quality products from Germany and sold well around the world. In 1903, Arthur Junghans' vision became a reality - Junghans was the world's largest watch factory. More than 3, 000 employees produced more than 3 million watches each year. The manufacturing facility soon had to be expanded. And so the terrace building came into being, with a step-like construction that delivered natural daylight to each and every watchmaker's work station. The building is now protected as a historic monument.
1946 A precious legacy in difficult times
After Arthur Junghans' death, his sons Erwin and Oscar took over management of the company in 1920. Continuing the company's legacy and maintaining its high standards was no easy task, but the brothers mastered it successfully. At the start of the 1930s, the first wristwatches were produced and would quickly replace pocket watches as the most popular style of watch on the market. Even after the Second World War and the dismantling of the factory, the innovative spirit of Junghans' master watchmakers remained undaunted. Junghans developed the first wristwatch chronograph movement, the legendary J88, as early as 1946. Junghans was also able to assert itself as a company with a long tradition in the new market environment of post-war reconstruction.
1970 The time of quartz
Following the successful consolidation of the company after 1945, Junghans began to focus on new, more precise methods for measuring time. The first result of these efforts was the electric movement. But it was the newly invented quartz technology that Junghans really took up and developed further. The first German quartz clock was built at the end of the 1960s and Germany's first quartz wristwatch was built in 1970. As a pioneer of chronographic development, Junghans made history once again as the official timekeeper of the 1972 Olympic Games.
1985 Junghans and the radio-controlled timepiece
Junghans created yet another revolution on the clock and watch making market when they developed the first radio-controlled table clock. The world's first radio-controlled wristwatch, the Mega 1, followed the first radio-controlled solar clock in 1990. To celebrate the Mega 1's 15-year birthday in 2005 and to pay tribute to the classic, Junghans launched the Mega 1000, a new interpretation of the world's first radio-controlled wristwatch that combines contemporary design and ultra-modern technology.
Junghans information provided by junghansusa.com
Kienzle Clock History
Kienzle is founded in 1822 in Schwenningen by Johannes Schlenker. The company soon fabricates 20, 000 wall clocks and pendulum clocks per annum. In 1883 Jakob Kienzle marries into the Schlenker family and henceforward he contributes to the expansion of the company. In 1893, 162, 000 watches and alarm clocks are made per annum. The name of the company is changed into Schlenker & KIENZLE.
From 1894 on the weight and the costs of alarm clocks and wall clocks can be significantly reduced incorporating the "American System" with standardized individual components and perforated plates. This process is highly innovative at that time. From 1897 on Jakob Kienzle became sole owner and also the name of the company changes after some time into today's notation Kienzle. But not only is the watch production continuously extended and modernized. The international activities are also steadily enlarged. In the following years branches in Milan, Paris and London are established.
In 1900 Kienzle launches the time stamp clock on the market, followed by inexpensive pocket watches, traveling clocks and wristwatches for ladies. The first clocks for automobiles are also made at that period of time. The so-called "Strapazier-Armbanduhr" is presented in 1931. This watch is extremely resilient because of its special construction. With 25 million sold specimens the watch model becomes a popular product.
At the end of the nineteen-thirties Kienzle starts the fabrication of two table clocks in the upper price segment: the Zodiac Clock and the World Time Clock. After the Second World War the track record of Kienzle goes on again with established articles and new products like a parking meter equipped with the latest technology. 1956 the so-called "Volksautomatik" enters the market and is yet another example for the innovative products of the company. Energy is provided by a rotor that wounds in both directions and instead of steel pins the lever is fitted with ruby pins.